When at home, there’s no better feeling than to indulge in soft, chewy, yet crispy cookies! Who doesn’t want that taste? I bet everyone does!
While most of us love the crispness of freshly-baked cookies, isn’t it always a challenge to keeping them fresh for a long time?
We spend lots of time thinking about how to keep cookies crisp, but have we ever figured out the secret to it?
Well, here are some tips I can give! Stay tuned, keep reading, and let’s make our cookie the freshest and crispiest there is to taste!
Keeping Cookies Crisp – Here’s How to Do It!
The manner as to how long cookies last depends on two simple factors – first, the type of cookie you produced and second, the manner it is stored.
These delicacies can be in a form of a dry cookie or a soft cookie. Both have distinct characteristics as to its softness and as well as its manner of storage. Here’s how you should do it.
How to Store Dry Cookies
Dry cookies typically stay fresh and crisper for an extended time. With their little to no moisture at all, dry cookies can last longer than the soft ones.
To keep the cookies crisp, follow these tips below:
- Keep all cookies cool and dry before storing them inside a container.
- Make use of an air-tight container.
- Store them at room temperature.
- Store different flavors in different containers. Don’t mix them in one place.
- If you have a limited number of containers, you can place each flavor of cookies in a freezer bag and seal them inside the box.
If you store all your dry cookies this way, you can be sure that your cookies will stay fresh and crisp for two to three weeks.
How to Store Soft Cookies
Soft cookies are among the cookies that are harder to keep fresh for several days.
Often, they have a chewy texture and usually has lots of moisture in center. Hence, it is also a challenge to keep soft cookies as crisp as possible.
Soft cookies typically get stale when exposed to air. To prevent that from happening, here are some techniques to keep soft cookies crisp and fresh.
- Keep cookies cool before placing them in a container.
- Always keep them in an air-tight container to preserve the moisture and crispiness.
- Store different flavors in separate containers. Some cookies having intense flavors might seep into the other cookie flavor you place them both inside the same container.
- You can also place them inside one container, but make sure to have them separated by a parchment or wax paper.
How to Keep Cookies Crisp for a Long Time?
Apart from keeping cookies intact in an air-tight container, there’s another way to keep them crisp and fresh for a longer time – freeze them up!
Freezing is another way to store cookies for quite an extended period. It helps you preserve the flavor, moisture, as well as the texture.
Hence, you can enjoy one anytime you want to! Before freezing these tasty bites, make sure to cool them after pulling from the oven, then freeze them right away.
Here’s how you can do the cookie freezing!
- To keep your cookies crisp, make sure to squeeze out all the air inside the freezer bag before you seal it.
- After you seal off the cookies inside the freezer bag, place it again into another air-tight container.
- Ensure that the container lid is sealed very well.
- Add a date and make sure to write flavor labels to the freezer bag to make it easier for you to grab whatever cookie flavor you want to take a bite out of!
There you have it! Cookie freezing guarantees you that your cookies will stay crisp and tasty for three months long!
This method gives your cookies double-layer protection from the freezer, and these baked goodies will stay fresh longer than expected!
Other Recommendations for Cookie Storage Strategies
Apart from placing your cookies in a freezer bag, sealing it tightly in a container, and storing it in cold and dry temperature, there are other recommendations for keeping your cookies crisp!
It is a general rule that cookies should be sealed inside a glass container. I have tried it a lot of times, and it worked entirely.
However, it doesn’t always work for all cookies having different moisture levels and texture. Keeping their crispiness is a whole new challenge, as I may say.
With this, some cookie experts would also suggest controlling your room temperature.
You can always bake lots of cookies in advance and see to it that they are stored in the most appropriate temperature possible.
Meanwhile, other recommendations would be putting your baked cookies inside a fridge. This will definitely keep them cool, fresh, and crisp.
I have never been a fan of placing tasty baked goodies inside a fridge, but somehow, it’s worth a try! Should you wish to preserve the crispiness of your delicacies, keeping them inside a fridge is a must-try too!
I hope I have given you enough details to answer the question, “how to keep cookies crisp?”
There are several cookie types, and you need to know the appropriate storage techniques according to the standards of the cookies you bake.
The moisture, the texture, as well as the ingredients, play a vital role in making cookies stay crisp!
If you follow all the steps of these recommendations, you’ll definitely get to enjoy crispy cookies for a long while. You might also fail in some techniques, but make sure not to give up. Every method is worth a try.
If you end up softening your cookies after following all these storage techniques, you can still re-bake them and make them crisp once more!
Reheating cookies inside the oven still gives you a pleasant, tasty surprise. Enjoy baking the crispiest cookie you deserve!