Brownies are very delicious. However, there may be times where you are set on making brownies but don’t have the right ingredients. Not everyone might have brownie mix lying around. So what do you do? The answer is to use a cake mix.
This article will help you show how to make brownies from cake mix. It might sound odd but it is a good alternative but there are a few things to take note of.
Difference Between Cake Mix and Brownie Mix
To understand the difference between the two mixes you should try imagining the difference between a cake and a brownie. A cake has a spongy texture and feels lighter. On the other hand, brownies are denser.
This is one of the main differences between cake and brownie mix. Cake mixes have higher flour content which results in a spongy texture. Brownies are denser since their mix has lower flour content. You will want your brownies to be denser and not resemble sponge cakes. Brownie mix also doesn’t contain any leavening agents. This is to make sure brownies retain their desired texture.
As you can see, the flour content and presence of leavening agents are some fundamental differences. If you’re going to make brownies using cake mix you’ll need to make adjustments to account for these differences.
Adjustments to The Cake Mix
Since you now know what the differences between cake mix and brownie mix you have a better idea of what changes to make to the cake mix. The changes you need to make are twofold:
Amount Of Eggs
Eggs are important in any batter. They add to the taste as well as stabilize the batter. Eggs also act as leavening agents. As you’ve read above, the brownie mix doesn’t contain leavening agents. To get the dense texture you want from using cake mix you’ll need to use fewer eggs. You should use two eggs instead of three.
Changing The Oil
Another important adjustment you need to make is to not use butter. Butter can act as a leavening agent of sorts and cause the brownie to become spongier and expand. To avoid this you should use vegetable oil. Vegetable oil does the same tasks as butter but it doesn’t result in the batter rising. Generally, you should use a one-third cup of vegetable oil.
For making brownies from cake mix you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Cake Mix: You will want to have a box of chocolate cake mix if you’re going to make chocolate brownies.
- Vegetable Oil: An alternative is coconut oil though do note it can alter the taste of your brownies. You’ll need one-third of a cup.
- Eggs: You will want to use two eggs for the batter.
- Sugar: One cup of sugar will suffice.
- Vanilla Extract: You will want to use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- All-purpose Flour: No more than 1 cup or you risk making it spongy.
- Chocolate Chips: A box of chocolate chip cookies will be enough. You will mostly just add them to the top of your brownies for flavoring.
- Confectioner’s Sugar: 2 cups will work. Just like chocolate chips, you will just spray them over the top for extra flavoring.
- Vanilla Ice Cream (optional): You can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the top of your brownie to make it even better but it is optional.
Before you can begin baking make sure you’ve made the following preparations:
- Have two separate bowls. One should contain the cake mix and the other will be used to make the batter.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius).
- Have a baking pan at the ready. It should be lightly greased with some oil.
Making the Brownies
We can now finally get to make the brownies. The below steps describes the process:
- Take one of the bowls and pour in the chocolate cake mix. In the other bowl add the oil and sugar and cream them. They will become light and fluffy.
- In one bowl start adding the eggs. Add one egg at a time and make sure you beat the egg well before the second addition.
- Add the required amount of vanilla extract. Mix it in. Then proceed to add flour and a half teaspoon of salt. Start to mix them all thoroughly.
- After they are properly mixed pour in the chocolate cake mix. Stir them together until the texture grows thick.
- Once they are all properly stirred, start to pour the mixture into the baking pan. Use a spatula or knife to even out the edges and the surface.
- Place the baking pan into your preheated oven. Let it bake for 30 minutes.
- Once the baking is done you need to take it out of the oven carefully. Let it sit out and cool down.
- After cooling, you can add the dressing. Spray some confectioner’s sugar onto the brownies. Then add some chocolate chips to them.
- Cut the brownies out. You can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of them.
With this your brownies are ready. It’s nothing too different from making your usual brownies but you need to pay attention to the batter.
Tips for Making Brownies with Cake Mix
If you’re used to making brownies before, making it with cake mix won’t be anything new. Here are some additional tips:
- You can add a layer to your brownies. This could include a mint chocolate layer, caramel, and so on. There’s lots of room for creativity.
- Make adjustments to the batter if you feel the texture isn’t too your liking. Change the amount of flour you use or the eggs.
- Instead of chocolate chips you can use nuts as a healthier alternative.
We hope this guide on how to make brownies from cake mix proves useful to you. With how delicious brownies are it’s easy to see yourself craving to eat them every once in a while. Now with this guide, you can prepare a batch of brownies easily even if you don’t have any brownie mix lying around.